Children’s Special Health Care Services 

Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) is a program within the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS). It is for children and some adults with health care needs and their families. CSHCS members do not have any copayments.

If you are on Upper Peninsula Health Plan (UPHP) Medicaid, your Medicaid benefits can be found here.

If you are on UPHP Healthy Michigan Plan, your Healthy Michigan Plan benefits can be found here.

Who Is Eligible?

These four things decide whether someone is eligible for CSHCS:

  • Residency – You must be a Michigan resident.
  • Citizenship – You must be a U.S. citizen or a documented noncitizen.
  • Age – Children must have a health condition that qualifies them and be 20 years old or younger. Persons 21 years and older with cystic fibrosis or certain hereditary blood-coagulation disorders commonly known as hemophilia may also qualify.
  • Qualifying Medical Condition – MDHHS medical consultants review each case to decide if someone is eligible. More than 2,500 diagnoses may be eligible. For a list of covered conditions, view the CSHCS Services Diagnosis Code List.

How To Apply

To apply, first ask your health specialist to submit a medical record less than one year old to CSHCS. It can be a letter or report that fully describes the condition and treatment plan. Your specialist will need permission to send the record to CSHCS.

If the person with special needs has not seen a specialist or if you have questions, please do one of the following:

Primary Care Providers

Please call UPHP Customer Service at 1-800-835-2556 with the name of your primary care provider (PCP) or your child’s PCP.

If you do not (or your child does not) have a PCP, click the link below for a list of PCPs who have agreed to accept any UPHP Medicaid member enrolled in CSHCS. The list is meant to help you, not limit your choice. If the doctor you want is not on the list, call UPHP Customer Service for help.

Transition to Adulthood

As children get older they must prepare for the transition to adult life. Transitioning to adult life means planning for future needs including:

  • Health care
  • Employment
  • Education
  • Independent living

Children with special health care needs will need to make the transition from pediatric care to adult care. Health care planning should also include:

  • Learning independent health care skills
  • Finding adult health care providers
  • Getting proper health care coverage

Below is a link to resources to assist with this process:

If you need help, please contact UPHP Customer Service at 1-800-835-2556 and ask to speak with a CSHCS care coordinator.

CSHCS Family Forum

CSHCS Family Forum Presentation Slides

Michigan Family Connections Newsletters

Michigan Family Connections connects families of children and youth with special health care needs, and the professionals who help them, with information and news they can use.

Family Linkages Newsletters

The Family Linkages newsletters connect families of children and youth with special needs in Michigan with information, education, and support.

Family-to-Family Health Information and Education Centers

The Michigan Family-to-Family Health Information and Education Center aims to improve access to high-quality care and supports for children with special needs by empowering families.

Page Last Updated: 04/25/2019