Advance Directives

Advance directives are your spoken or written wishes about your future medical care, in case you are too sick to speak or write.  There are two common types of advance directives: a living will and a medical power of attorney.

  • A living will states your wishes about your health care if you are not able to speak or write at the end of your life.
  • A medical power of attorney lets you pick someone you trust to make choices about your health care if you cannot make those choices.

Doctors who treat Upper Peninsula Health Plan (UPHP) Medicaid members should offer help with advance directives.  If you do not have an advance directive, but would like one, call your primary care provider’s (PCP) office for help.

If you have any complaints about advance directives, call UPHP Customer Service at 1-800-835-2556.

If you have complaints about how your doctor follows your wishes, write or call:

Bureau of Health Professions
Complaint and Allegation Division
P.O. Box 30670
Lansing, MI 48909-8170

You can also complain at the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website by clicking on “File a Complaint.”

If you have compaints about how UPHP follows your wishes, call the Department of Insurance and Financial Services at 1-877-999-6442 or visit their website by clicking here.


Page Last Updated: 09/30/2016